This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Read It and Weep ;-)

Okay, okay, so I'm experiencing a tiny bit of frustration with the formatting of my text through TextNovel.com. It may simply be because I'm not actually texting in my text (I can't believe I just typed that phrase and my computer didn't explode ;-). I can't text in my text. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch.

What the heck does that have to do with anything, you may well wonder! We tend to have short, thick fingers. Hmm. Pretty often we have short, thick waists, too, come to think of it. So we are doubly damned in this era of high fashion models and text-messaging ;-). Besides the fact I live out (waaay out) in the countryside and must drive about 5 miles to get a cell signal. So, old-fashioned me, I'm typing my text in from my laptop ;-). For some reason the formatting doesn't stick (I've contacted tech support and I'm sure they'll educate me appropriately :-). But until they can help me out, I have huge single paragraphs that run the length of entire chapters.

Don't get me wrong--it's still readable, but it looks daunting. I can just imagine ADHD readers' heads exploding when they glimpse my first chapter (maybe that's just the certified teacher in me, though). I noticed some of the other writers actually have theirs looking like you could read it on a cell phone--I wonder if they texted (yikes--is that proper conjugation?) their text in from a cell phone.

So, I'm just waiting to see what I need to do to make my stuff more readable before I post too much more. I'm liking my story thus far, I'm liking the TextNovel.com site (other than this little snare) and their founder. I haven't chatted with any of the other board members, but I'm sure they're decent, too :-).

Maybe tomorrow after I drop my kid off at his summer program I'll try seeing if I can access the site on my cell phone. I'm curious to see what it looks like on the cell phone screen, too.

Once I'm happier with the look of it, I'll link so you can pop right over to my story (because of course you will :-). Until then I'm afraid you're eyes will bleed if my chapters are too long. Perhaps I need to study the venue a bit more...

Anyhow--I'm having fun with writing my TextNovel--still learning the ropes!

Keep writing (and reading)!
~Saoirse

2 comments:

Devil Mood said...

you are funny!
I understand, but also don't find it romantic at all to write a novel using a cell phone, I hate my phone. I'd probably use pen and paper first, then a typewriter and then put it to the computer lol

I look forward to hearing more about this, hope you can resolve your format problems.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Hey Devil Mood :-)

Yeah, there is a certain lack of romance to the whole cell phone novel thing. Maybe if my phone didn't look like some throw-back to the 80s it'd work better to evoke the right romance-writing mood ;-). Luckily I chose to try a YA Fantasy (Anne Bonny-related, as she's a current curiosity) for my TextNovel submission.

Pen and paper? Ah, I remember those days... Unfortunately my handwriting (and general organizational skills) are such that if I could keep track of the papers I'd still need a better eyeglass prescription to figure out what I wrote. lol

Stan (the TextNovel founder) has actually been jumping right into the fray to try and make sure these things are corrected. It'd figure the loudmouth textnovelist of the TextNovel site (me, in case you dared wonder ;-) would encounter the strange glitches and potential bugs.

He's hoping to have it all resolved pretty fast. :-)

Thanks for stopping by!
Saoirse

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%