This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Sunday Scribblings Prompt: Vision

This week's Sunday Scribblings prompt is "vision." Hmm. So many different types of vision, really. Let's see what I can make clear in a story form (anything for me to gain further insight into the books and characters I'm working on, right? ;-).

"James--" she paused, squinting.

He stood before her, fists balled at his side, jaw jutting forward--ready for a full blown confrontation.

Today, Anne decided she would not give him the satisfaction. She brushed her gloves together, crumbs of rich soil clinging stubbornly to the leather.

"What?" he challenged, his eyes seeming to shrink as they became a very distinct and unattractive likeness to a pig.

Anne sighed and swatted the remaining dirt off her gloves and onto her skirt. She knew the servants would shake their heads at such a thing, but she needed a moment to think. Reaching up, she tilted her hat very subtly and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"James," she began again, more softly, "I know what made my father so ill."

James' eyes narrowed further--Anne wondered how they could, they were so like the tiny French knots her mother had used to create doll eyes.

"I know it was oleander in father's cake. And I know you were the one who did it." She held up a hand to signal he should keep his mouth shut.

It still gaped open in surprise.

"It occurs to me that having the two of you living under the same roof may not be a wise idea. You are far too eager for my inheritance, and my father is far too eager for me to be free of--well, of you." She tugged off one glove, finger by finger. "It all seems quite inevitable, really. Had you not tried to kill him first, surely he would have tried to murder you--accidents are far too common on plantations." Her gaze flickered to him, a silent, yet pointed threat.

Her brows drew together for a moment as she peered at the base of his throat. The spot his charm used to hang. Odd. Hadn't he said he had lost the thing in a tousle with a slave? She shaded her eyes and glanced towards the sunlight filtering through the trees. Perhaps it was a trick of the light, but from her spot under the myrtles she could have sworn his charm was still there, glowing eerily on a ghostly chain around his neck. She swallowed. Odd. She tore her gaze away again, busying herself with the other glove.

He grated the words out from between his teeth: "So what do we do now, Annie?"

"Well, as I am your wife and ill-suited to plantation living and the normal standards of local society, I think--" she paused. "Do you smell smoke?"

He pulled back, looking at her as if she'd finally gone utterly insane.

But even as he was reacting, she knew there was nothing for him to react to but her. Behind him she saw strange shadows, like dark tongues of flame. They licked around him, snapping and popping as she watched, and then--they were gone like the very shadows they had been. She wobbled and he grabbed her by the arm to steady her.

"Annie?" he asked. "Are you ill?"

"No," she replied, straightening. She felt cold. She licked her lips. She would need to get the visions under control if she was going to make this work. "James?"

"Yes, Annie?"

"Take me away from here. Take me on a grand adventure--like the stories you told by the dockside." She fixed him with her most alluring gaze. "Let's not fight anymore. Let my father have the plantation--he's an old man. How much longer will he live without your interference?"

He moved towards her, the heat of his body so close made a fine sweat bead around her temples. "Where shall I take you, Annie?" he asked, eyes sparkling.

Anne found herself thanking God that James' ego was so predictable. So where could they go that he'd be no more threat to her father? Where could she clean up the mess of this marriage she'd been so eager to create? She smiled up into his eyes, curling into his arms and whispered the answer. "Take me pirating."

Okay, so it doesn't spend as much time as I wanted to on the snippets of visions that have been causing Anne to falter, but it's something. And it feels good to try a SS prompt again, too. :-)

For more great answers to Sunday Scribblings prompts or to participate yourself, go here!

Keep writing!
Saoirse

9 comments:

San said...

spooky vision! and i want to read more! :)

Saoirse Redgrave said...

San--thank you. :-)I hope more will continue coming ;-)

~Saoirse

Devil Mood said...

Hi there! I must say it's a great idea to use the prompts of SS to work with your characters. Even if this particular chapter doesn't enter the main writing, it's well worth it anyway. Oh I may start doing this myself, it's exciting :)

Your Scottish romance is exciting too!

Now I'm going to take a look at your links in the sidebar, you seem to know your stuff :)

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thanks, Devil Mood :-) Using the SS prompts have helped me to consider things about my characters I hadn't thought of before and pushed me to examine them more closely.

I agree--even if certain answers to prompts won't make it in the final edit of the novel, I prefer to have stuff to cut than feel I've left a stone unturned.

I'm glad you stopped by. :-)
~Saoirse

Greyscale Territory said...

There is something of a Gothic romance in this! Loved the tensions!

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thank you, Greyscale Territory, I'm glad the tension worked for you. Anne and her husband have quite a complex relationship ;-).

Thanks for visiting!
~Saoirse

danni said...

what an exciting adventure - pirating! --- i'd love to read more of their relationship and WHERE??? has his charm gone!!! --- very enjoyable writing

one more believer said...

take me pirating... dynamite...now thaz an adventure...

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thanks Danni. :-) Glad you enjoyed it. The whole concept of his charm (which actually plays a pretty big part in how women--especially--perceive him)was something that just popped into my head one day while I was chatting.

Thank you, One More Believer! :-)I'm glad it sounds like adventure's coming--because that's my intention for the rest of the story. :-)

Keep reading (and writing)--glad you all stopped by! :-)
~Saoirse

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%