This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Monday, June 16, 2008

A Brief Rant : The Other Boleyn Girl

Ok, I'm sorry, but I finally got to see The Other Boleyn Girl, and instead of enjoying Hollywood's rendition of a book I REALLY loved, I spent most of the movie with part of my fist shoved into my mouth (the part when I wasn't telling my father and my husband just how Hollywood had botched this scene or that character)...

I don't think Dad'll rent any more movies when he comes to my place and my hubby--Well luckily having a son has stopped most of our efforts at getting to the movie theaters, so he'll just adjust (out of sheer desperation) and probably not allow me to read a book again before seeing a movie.

In the end I felt bad for Philippa Gregory (the author) the most, but I felt bad for almost everyone involved in this severely truncated and malformed beast of a movie. Thank God the costumes were marvelous and the acting was sound (not great, but--yep, "sound" is the best I can truly give them). But there were so many scenes Hollywood could have used from the book that would have created a far more powerful piece of cinema--They missed so many blatant opportunities I wanted to see the screenwriter's head on the block, not Anne's.

Anyhow, so that I don't spoil the multitude of surprises you'll encounter in the movie (because, if you did read the book, you WILL be surprised--maybe even a bit horrified), I'll end this post here and simply suggest that you see the movie, then do your best to forget it and READ THE BOOK. But for Heaven's sake, do it in that order (the forgetting will come naturally as a defense mechanism for some, luckily). Man, they could have done SO much better... VERY disappointing as movies go.

Hope you're reading...
Saoirse

No comments:

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%