This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Holidays, Folks!

Things seem to balance out here. Good, bad, light, dark... I worked like a devil to get everything "just so" because the bil/lan'lord wanted to bring his high school pal (now middle management for Philip Morris or somesuch) over to see bil's property (which we're renting currently). He had asked(well, not really "asked"--more like "informed") me a month or so ago that my family would have the pleasure of hosting them on the 22nd. I mentioned my bro's b-day (also the 22nd) and bil didn't even blink. I should've said, "Fine, tell him to bring a gift," but I was stunned. Too stunned. I shouldn't have been--we hosted friends of theirs before (total strangers in our home), providing food we ourselves raised and prepared, while the sil just looked on like some queen.

I've never much liked royalty or the folks who act like they ARE royalty. So we decided to move. Bought property, are building a home on it. The bil and sil were outraged (because, who would simply pay them rent and have to answer to them for the rest of their lives but us)? Anyhow...

I cleaned like a mad woman before bil and his buddy showed (expecting them to cancel last minute, which is also part of the charm of hosting them). I butchered a wether, a goose, a duck, and tried to improve the health of my pregnant milking goat, Helen. I tried to kill a fisher that was attacking my animals at night. I wound up spending a night in the hospital due to a freaky EKG, numbness in my left arm, dizziness, chest pain and pressure in my back and chest.
My goat miscarried twins. I had several pieces of art that were requested (and needed by the holidays). I had to make something for a Yule dinner and buy gifts for a gift exchange game.

The bil and buddy were late showing up. My goat (who had rallied) took a turn for the worse on the 22nd. My father turned off the oven, not the stove, while I rushed to help the goat. My torte suffered a bit, so I made a fudge wreath and took kirchwasser and rum balls (and sausage balls and two legs of lamb) to the Yule dinner. The dinner was wonderful--conversation was great, the people tremendous. I came home and yesterday my goat died. I was devastated.

But I am assured we are selling my Lighthouse/gallery, my art sales are up and I have a new writing job online (that pays decently).

Life has really been dramatically up and down this year. I hope yours has been more balanced, and in ways, less eventful.

I look forward to next year for many reasons: new house, new property, new neighbors. It'll be the Year of the Rat. I happen to be a Rat. I'm looking forward to next year being my year.

Take care!
~Saoirse

2 comments:

RomanceWriter said...

Sorry to hear you were hospitalized. Hope you are doing better now.

Hugs,

Sara

Saoirse Redgrave said...

I'm doing much better now, Sarah. thanks for checking up on me. :-)

Hope you're doing great!
~Saoirse

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%