This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Friday, November 16, 2007

An Update/Apology

I feel the need to apologize. Perhaps it's the fact I attended Catholic school as a child. Perhaps it's the fact the Southern Baptists, of whom my mother was a member, had a corner on the guilt "market" that rivals that of the Catholics (and, Deb's informed me, so do the Jews). Perhaps being surrounded by so much guilt, I feel the need to apologize more often than some people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just apologizing to you (any readers that stumble by) but, in a way, I'm apologizing to myself, too.

I'm sorry I haven't been blogging recently. Blogging does make me feel better--more connected, more open. I know I've had a few of you that have stopped by relatively often. I appreciate that.

I'm sorry I haven't been writing my stories recently. I signed up for NaNoWriMo and was earnestly excited about it, but then I think (in retrospect) that it freaked me out a bit. I mean, I've written (completing) many short stories and children's stories, and poems a-plenty in my youth, but knowing I have to FINISH a novel-length piece--It's like beginning and ending something you love. I guess I'm not so good at ending something that I love so much. But, I feel like I've abandoned my characters. They're always there, standing along the borders of my brain, tapping their toes and huffing and puffing like actors waiting for the director to give new blocking directions.

But still, my fingers won't cooperate on the keyboard when their files are open. I'm not suffering from "writer's block." I don't give the notion of "block" any weight or power. But fear--honest to goodness, bloodchilling fear of weaker words and piss-poor prose--that stops me in my tracks. The ideas are still circling in my head. The plot is strong, the characters are ready for adventure and growth. But I'm holding them back because I don't want to end things.

I think it comes back to my mother's death in June and the fact the holiday's have just pounced on me. I just realized this morning that I'm hosting my father and my brother for Thanksgiving, but my mother will never join us again. My eldest bil asked if we were all coming to "second Christmas" (their family's rather hobbit-minded when it comes to celebrations). My heart stopped and I stuttered about responsibilities here---I just dread the idea that "second Christmas" might make me cry openly--and what a bummer for the other attendees! It would be very selfish of me to attend and then "rain on their parade."

So I'm feeling sorry about not attending because I'm still feeling sorry for myself. I haven't been meeting my obligations in other ways recently, too. I am supposed to be writing regularly as part of my writing group trio. Instead of getting me to write (as I also supposed it would), I've stubbornly thrown on the brakes. I'm even supposed to schedule the next meeting. But I can't bring myself to open my e-mail and respond or write anything. Ugh.

So, I apologize. To myself, to my readers, to my characters and my kick-ass writers' trio. I'm still getting my head together. I thought I was "over the hump." I didn't expect the holidays to wallop me like they have.

I'm fighting to return...
~Saoirse

3 comments:

writerwoman said...

They're always there, standing along the borders of my brain, tapping their toes and huffing and puffing like actors waiting for the director to give new blocking directions.


That same thing happens to me. I see them there, waiting for me. I feel like a deadbeat parent.

writerwoman said...

Sending you love and hugs.

It will get better, in time. You have my support, always.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Man, don't I know that deadbeat feeling--you hit the nail on the head! Yep, my orphans are waiting for me to finish telling their tales...

~S.

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%