This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Strengthen Your Queries by Using Persuasive Essay Techniques

I had a tutoring session the other night that was noteworthy. Being a believer in the idea that teachers must be constant and active learners, I jotted down a few things I learned while quizzing the kid. As they were working on writing a persuasive letter, I got them to tell me what sorts of things their teacher wanted them to include in their persuasive format.

Their list included:
parallelism
metaphor/analogy
imagery
allusion
logic
rhetorical questions

Working through the session with them, I realized the same things they were trying to utilize are things I should consider more often when drafting query letters to would-be publishers.

Parallelism: consider comparing what you're selling them now to something successful already in their catalog. Remember that publishing houses often ask you to be familiar with their current catalog before submitting so you're aiming at the right publisher.
Metaphor/analogy: consider using active language and powerful words to show how your work connects to their company and target audience.
Imagery: try being visual--show your storytelling ability when constructing the query.
Allusion: think about referring to one of their popular authors/illustrators or books that have influenced you.
Logic: be orderly, logical and sensible in your delivery.
Rhetorical questions: Eh, this one could be utilized, but you want to be careful to not get "cheesy" by saying something like: "Who wouldn't want to buy my book?"

So, how might you use that list to strengthen your own query letters?

Ever curious,
~Saoirse

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was searching for this topic and came upon your blog. I like your point and I will use these points as i make my queries. My industry is the entertainment industry. However, the concept remains the same. --Hey do you have an example?

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%