This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Holy Heck--It's Three Word Wednesday!

Ok, I almost forgot. The pig is gone (don't ask) and I'm covered in briars and trying to do so many other things... Ugh! But Deb wrote 4 pages today after chatting with me and I have a meeting with a couple writers next week and nothing --NOTHING-- new written in so long...

Ok, the 3 words were: caught, eager, perfume. I'm new at this, so I'll start slowly...

He turned down the hallway. A door at the hall's far end closed with a "click." He thought he glimpsed the hint of a ruffled blue train just as it was swept inside by momentum, but he couldn't be sure. So he quickened his pace, only reminding himself of the necessity of gentlemanly reserve when he stood just outside that same door, hand warming the knob. He dared not go in. What would she think if she knew he followed her, eager as a hound cornering its quarry? But then he caught a whiff of her perfume, the scent of lilacs swirling up to tease his nose. Was she so close then? Only separated from him after these long years by a single wooden door?

Eh, it's something at least... Now I can bring in the dog, get a shower and sleep... Ah, yes. I remember sleep...Tomorrow I'll check out other 3 worders...

G'night all!
~Saoirse

10 comments:

TC said...

The scent of lilacs gets me every time too :)

Welcome to 3WW. :)

Jo said...

Wanting him to open that door!

gautami tripathy said...

Is he going to break down that door?

Waiting here in anticipaton..:D

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thanks for the welcome, TC!

Thanks Jo and Gautami-- I think he should break it down, too, but what if someone else turns down the hall... Hmm... What to do... ;-) Playing with this sort of thing tempts me to try writing something where people can vote for the outcome and I write to that concept--like one of those "pick-a-path adventures" from the 1980s. Hmm. I wonder if that would work in romances...

Thanks for your thoughts!
~Saoirse

Michelle Johnson said...

I was waiting for that door to open too. Where will you take this next? I can't wait to see. Welcome to 3WW. Keep up the good work.

Michelle

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thanks, Michelle! Glad it caught your attention. I'm debating what to do with this...

~Saoirse

tumblewords said...

Ah, yes. It begins again. But is she the woman he thinks he follows? Or is it a trap? Hmmm. Nice paragraph!

Bone said...

I really enjoyed this piece. As others have hinted, it could be continued. But you set a captivating scene in a few words.

Thanks for participating in 3 Word Wednesday :)

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Great questions, Tumblewords!Thank you :-)

Hey, Bone! Thanks for stopping in! This whole 3 Word Wednesday thing's pretty darned cool--glad you thought of it!

Have a great night!
~Saoirse

RomanceWriter said...

I like the romantic intensity of this piece.

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%