This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hi! Are You New Here?




I thought I might sort of introduce my blog to you--take you on a bit of a tour. I'm a published writer working on hammering out a novel or three, the one that's furthest along is "Hollow Hearts and Hollow Hills" and draws inspiration from the ballads of Tam Lin, Burd Janet, Thomas the Rhymer and a bunch of research. You'll notice my word counters in the left margin.

Every weekday (barring madness and loose pig or cattle--which brings on madness) I post a "Romance Writer's Word of the Day." It's like a vocabulary word that I've either found several times when reading in this genre, or it's a word I think would add to your writing (in this genre or others). You are encouraged to respond with a comment including a sentence of your crafting (or a favorite quote) that includes the word. A master list of the words (links) is also in the left margin.

"Story Samples" are linked on the left. If you see an SS that means it was from a Sunday Scribblings prompt. See an HH, it's about "Hollow Hearts and Hollow Hills." See a BB, it deals with "Barrister's Bastard" (now "Dreams in Red: Seadog").

Opinion pieces are on also linked on the left. See Just My "Humble" Opinion? I try not to bring too much of my personal opinion here, but occasionally it's inevitable.

I'm also updating a list of Romance Publishers (also linked in the left margin) as time goes on (and I have time to do it).

I have Writing Prompts (left margin) that you may participate in at any point and I've also recently added Tips and Tricks (little "articles" about ways you might improve your writing).

Towards the page's bottom you'll find whatever survey or poll we're doing here--feel free to participate if it's still open. I'm very curious about people's thoughts.

Want to participate in Writing Challenges? I have links to some of them on the left, also. If you have one to suggest, let me know and I'll check it out.

I also include my Useful Research Links from "Hollow Hearts and Hollow Hills" (below), Publishers and Contests (left margin), Blogs I Breeze By and The Archives. I also occasionally post prompts here, too. I try to include viewable labels on all my posts so you can quickly and easily find similar things via links.

I hope you find something enjoyable and useful here!

Sincerely,
~Saoirse

No comments:

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%