This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Monday, July 09, 2007

Thought for the Day 7/9/07

Yesterday I attended a christening for a niece of mine. I was initially excited because not only was it for my niece, but also because it was going to be a Catholic ceremony.

See, I attended Catholic school for a few years during my childhood (although I was never officially Catholic) and I have a great reverence for that particular Christian sect. I think it comes from being exposed to the pomp and circumstance of Catholic ritual, and the mysterious (at that age) language of Latin. The Catholic school I went to was all about the people bending to the will of God. I was never a very "bendy" kid ;-) and my stubborness was put in check by Catholicism (and a healthy fear of nuns, specifically). So, yesterday, I approached the church with great reverence and humility.

Then it began.

We all waited for a parent of one child to show up. Yes, a man dared make a Catholic Father wait.

I became frustrated. People talked while the priest was speaking (where were the nuns with their rulers in hand, I wondered ;-). They didn't really agree and speak the appropriate "I do's". There was no strength to their conviction.

And I know that my SIL and BIL had to "shop around" to find a church to do the ceremony for them because he's not Catholic (and had a divorce) and she hasn't attended church since the church refused to marry them because he tried to lie to the priest so he could give her the beautiful church wedding she wanted. Ah, what a tangled web we weave, right?

So they shopped around, got an almost all-English ceremony from a Priest who said their responses for them (like a broken man) and explained every single step of the ceremony before performing it so it was all as understandable as possible. There was no pomp and circumstance.

No mystery and regality. No strong commitment to a way of life or religion. It all left me feeling hollow, as if the catholic church was pandering and "dumbing it down." Where was MY Catholic church?

So here's the thought. What might one of your characters discover about something or someone that will leave them feeling disillusioned? How will it impact their behavior during the course of the story, or is it part of the backstory?

Always curious,
~Saoirse

No comments:

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%