This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Wicked

This week's prompt was "wicked." I realized what I was working on today would fit my heroine, Jennet's, concept of wicked pretty well. So here's a snippet from my w.i.p. novel "Hollow Hearts and Hollow Hills." It's still rough, so be kind ;-) .

Jennet’s eyes strayed back to the pair of them. The lass who now had her legs wrapped around Sirius’ waist was older than Jennet had supposed. Far beyond the gleam of maidenhood, Jennet smirked, but strangely lovely, nonetheless. Red hair streaked equally with gold and silver strands, and fine lines edging her slanting eyes like the tiny toes of some bird’s foot; the woman was most likely in her forties. Old enough to be Jennet’s mother. Still Jennet eyed her with envy. She would never be allowed to leap into her husband’s arms with such abandon. Such behavior was unseemly at best.

As if he heard her thoughts, Sirius cleared his throat and tugged Desdemona off of him. He set her down firmly, scowling a reprimand.

“Oh,” she whispered, dipping in a curtsy designed to hide the less than fashionable aspects of her dress. “My lady, I did not expect—did not see--” she corrected, “you here.”

Jennet nodded, a smile curling the corner of her lips. “Far be it from me to interrupt two loving spouses.” She made to leave, but Desdemona was laughing so hard she held her sides.

Sirius, too, smiled loosely.

“Yes?” Jennet asked, raising an eyebrow in an expression that usually warned the help at home.

“Beggin’ your pardon milady, but Sirius and me—we aren’t spouses...”

“You’re not married?”

“Well, surely not to each other,” Dezdie whooped and slapped her thigh in a most unladylike display.

Jennet’s raised eyebrow was now so high she thought she might lose it in her hairline. “You called him lover.”

“I call everyone lover,” Dezdie chuckled. “Leaves my options open by creating an air of invitation,” she winked wickedly.

So there's the "wickedness" of the commoners. Of course, Jennet soon learns life's not as comfortable as it would be if things were merely black and white. And yes, Dezdie is based on someone I know. She's fun at parties, but not the type to leave alone too long with your spouse... ;-)

Oh, I did also think about quoting lyrics from the Broadway musical "Wicked," too. Loved it.
~Saoirse

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

How intriguing. Thanks for the inside look at your novel!

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thanks Jennifer! Glad you stopped by! :-)

~Saoirse

Rob Kistner said...

Another fascinating peak into your unfolding story... ;)

gautami tripathy said...

What a glimpse!

Paul said...

Whets the appetite.

Patois said...

A nice glimpse into your wip. I love your last lines about actually knowing someone like Des.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thank you, Rob, Gautami and Paul! I really appreciate you all stopping in and looking at what I'm doing, it helps keep me moving forward! :-)

Patois--Thank you, and yes, knowing someone like that character has wonderfully fun moments and those moments when you just raise an eyebrow... ;-)

Take care, everybody!
~Saoirse

RomanceWriter said...

Loved reading your excerpt!

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%