This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Monday, July 16, 2007

Romance Writer's Word of the Day...Coming Later...

Ok, so I haven't chosen my word yet for today. I know, I know--Slacker! ;-) But between trying to save the garden from something munching down on my cantelope plants, getting a "house" ready for the froggy my 3 year old son caught at the pond this morning, haying the sheep (their pasture's on its last legs) and feeding and watering the chickens and turkeys...Well, you get the idea. Ah, yes--my life's romantic! :p

I also did some writing, but I'm rereading and tweaking as I go, too. I threw down a new storyline (all this talk of Harry Potter's got my brain itching with possibilities) and fleshed it out a touch, too. In about an hour I start work. I hope it's a slow day. If so, I get a little more time to consider my writing.

This weekend a visitor was over twice, mainly helping my hubby run the new electric fence (Highland cattle coming soon). I will preface this next part by saying--I am extremely grateful for his assistance. However, I served him two meals and each time was struck by the differences between my family and my his family.

My family's always big on the idea that you DON'T ask for special treatment. If you sit down to a table and the hostess serves you carrots, you don't make a face and say, "I don't like carrots." You simply take a very tiny helping or see if you can get "skipped" when they're passed. When you have dessert and realize it's very tasty, you DON'T ask to have some to take home to your wife (chances are good that a generous hostess will provide some anyhow, and if so, act surprised and gracious). When you pick up the dessert to take home to your wife, don't ask, "Is there enough for both of us?" and get caught COUNTING the slices of pound cake (a generous hostess will provide for both of you, and if she doesn't--well, buck up, buddy, because you already had one serving yourself ;-). Do NOT bemoan the fact that you can't also take home any ice cream because your drive is too long, instead, smile and say, "I liked what you did with this dessert so much, I'm going to stop by my local market and pick up a pint of ice cream. What flavors might you suggest I look for?"

Perhaps this all sounds like I'm a bit peeved about all this. Well, I am. I may not be the most graceful gal. I may not always get my thank you notes done in time, but I still have certain expectations.

So what things irk you about guests? Do you have a character you've styled based on your pet peeves?

Continually curious (and with dishes to wash...)--
~Saoirse
PS--Don't forget the POLL at the page's bottom...

No comments:

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%