This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thought for the Day 6/28/07

I haven't had much online time recently. The brief moments here and there that I did have were usually spent on lighthearted blogs and topics (if you know me, you know it was "escapism" at work).

Recently I got to return to Sara's blog (and hers is one I'll gladly suggest to anyone stopping by here). She doesn't post daily, but when she does post, it's almost always a posting "from the heart." Recently she was writing about writing--the difficulty of finishing a novel (specifically a first novel). She pointed out that writing isn't for wimps. Read her blog, she states it all better than I am doing now.

So I was thinking about it... What keeps us spinning our wheels and stops us from truly finishing something? Perhaps even thinking about such topics is one more way to avoid the projects, too... ;-) ... Here's a quote, though...

"
I went for years not finishing anything. Because, of course, when you finish something you can be judged... I had poems which were re-written so many times I suspect it was just a way of avoiding sending them out." ~Erica Jong

Are we trying to avoid judgement? Are all authors and wouldbe authors insecure? At what point is insecurity natural and honest and how do we avoid letting it cripple us?

When I was a competition shooter (yeah, that's a long story in itself), I procrastinated practicing. It seemed I almost had a natural ability at shooting and although I got lots of positive attention for it (especially when I won) I almost wanted to lose. I think I wanted to be free of expectations. I've always hated labels and I've always had to deal with them anyhow. Being pigeonholed due to my voluntary participation in a sport or activity just irks me. I guess if you're going to label me, be accurate and complete (I can provide you with an acceptable list ;-).

Maybe my attention splits because I don't want to be labeled an "author" as if that's the end-all. Maybe I worry that once I have my novel finished the experience won't live up to my expectations. I once heard someone say that most authors never get their first novel published. Man, I thought. It's like the saying "If I'd have known how much fun grandkids are, I would have had them first!" Maybe I just fear rejection (although one Olympic-level coach suggested in a round-about way that I fear success). Maybe.

So I guess the point is this: Regardless of what slows you or splits you away from your goal, you need to weigh your determination. Will you overcome your own issues and battle your own demons, or let them define you instead of being defined by your potential success?

Have a great day!
~Saoirse

2 comments:

RomanceWriter said...

It's really odd with me. If I tell myself I am not going to try and publish this one, then I can write it. But if I look at it through an editors eyes then I freeze, think it is worthless, and find myself unable to plod on. That's why NaNoWriMo is so great for me. I have to write so fast I can not let my internal editor take over.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Interesting point, Sara. I definitely want to give NaNoWriMo a try. Your statement definitely gives it added value.

I've found a similar attitude with myself, too--If I think too long about what an editor or what readers might really want, I either start second-guessing myself or lose interest in my writing. That sort of thinking sucks the passion and motivation out of me because I start thinking too "logically."

I get stuck in marketing strategies and target audiences--blech.

~Saoirse

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%