This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

6 Weird Things...Hmm...

Ok, let me give this a try. Some of these are weird things about me, some are just weird things surrounding me. Fact is, in High School we used to say if you aren't weird, you're bound to be dull...

1.) While pregnant I had such an attack of claustrophobia that I had to race past the in-laws at the table and just stand outside and breathe. It helped, generally, except that--

2.) I can make myself claustrophobic standing in an open field. Just think about the limits of atmosphere, the statistics of pollution, the destruction of the rainforests and the hole in the ozone and see if your throat doesn't constrict a bit.

3.) At age 12 I was a winner in a national shooting competition.

4.) I caught lances for a tremendous jouster (full contact jousting company) at a briefly-lived Renaissance Faire. I was invited to go on a US tour with the company. I turned them down, saying I was engaged. They offered to pay his way, too. I turned them down again because I was just finishing my pro sem and headed into student teaching.

5.) I have petted a Siberian Tiger in the midst of passing rain showers. Yes, tiger fur sticks to your hand when it's damp.

6.) I have had my sneakers chewed on by wolf pups (while the sneakers were on my feet);

7.) I learned rapier and dagger at age sixteen;

8.) I was once trapped in an elevator with a boy who liked me. For 8 hellish minutes he sang "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds;"

9.) When invited out by a would-be date, I rejected him saying "I have to rearrange my sock drawer." See #8 if you're not sure why I'd do such a cruel thing;

10.) I am very familiar with the traditional Oriental saying "He who chases 2 rabbits catches neither" and yet I write for two vastly different genres (under two different names);

11.) In highschool I was driven from location to location by friends to tell people about the ghosts living in old houses and was strangely accurate with what they had found historically;

12.) My father suggested I should become a medium and work for someone like Hans Holzer.

13.) I can lose myself for days on writing or art. It is like therapy (but cheaper, I'd wager).

14.) I helped rescue a wounded owl that middle schoolers brought me on the sly in a VCR box;

15.) I was in Heathrow Airport immediately following last summer's plane bombing scares. What a mess!

16.) I was once rejected for a Tarot card reading by a psychic who said "Something dark is following you closely" and refused to tell me more other than to read Edgar Cayce's books and train in the way he suggested;

17.) Vitamin C tends to make me sick;

18.) Mixing Advil and Coca Cola has made me giddy more than once;

19.) I intended to lead a lonely life with writing, art and teaching until I fell in love because of a misunderstanding on the phone and blatant honesty afterwards.

Wow, there are so many more... Hope that fulfills my part of the "tagged" thing, Wandering Author ;-) . Apologies, but I'm not the type to tag others--although I'll gladly play the other part of the game :-)

~Saoirse

2 comments:

RomanceWriter said...

LOL at 8 and 9. That could be a scene in a book.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Yes, a horror novel ;-)

~Saoirse

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%