This blog follows how a romance novel set in the Borders of medieval Scotland is researched, written and hopefully *hopefully* published.

Join me on the writing journey and get inspired to try writing a little romance into your own life!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Whew!

Wow. Well, I think I'm now going to take a moment and curl up with a glass of milk (all coffeed out).

I just sent off my first contest entry, a 14,976 word historical fiction tale that picks up the story of Anne Bonny at age 19 as her marriage to her pirate-turned-informer husband, James, spirals out of control. Seeking some sense of control in her own life, Anne wanders into the Salty Dog tavern and meets the recently "reformed" Captain Jack Rackham. Passion ignites and their lives grow even more complicated.

This was the story I started my private "Word Count Journal" with. Unfortunately, I didn't finish it there, using the last few days to just do it in Word.

I wrapped it up after the historically-based auction. If you've never heard of it, some research may be in order ;-) Regardless of whether this one gets published in its first outting or not, I've learned a lot about what I can accomplish in a given timeframe (still working 30 hours a week, watching my son and fulfilling other obligations).

I was still researching bits and pieces of this up until yesterday morning, while editing and re-editing (I was over the word limit by 900 words at one point--what a nightmare!).

The contest is Samhain Publishing's "Midsummer Night's Steam." I investigated them briefly, and though the little bit I read about their possible contracting makes me wary (I'm big on creator's rights), I'd be putting "the cart before the horse" if I stopped entering because of that. Besides, I realize I'm still on the steep side of "ye ole learning curve." Maybe they'll like it, maybe they'll hate it--but hopefully I'll still learn more from it. If nothing else, I've done a bunch of research and know an actual novel (or two) could come out of the characters I've developed.

My hours have been insanely long recently. I'm exhausted. I haven't had an opportunity to keep up with my "Romance Writer's Word of the Day," but I should get back to it within a day or two.

I appreciate your patience and hope you're writing!
~Saoirse

7 comments:

writerwoman said...

Congrats on sending in your first contest entry. I believe every first for a writer should be celebrated. Good luck with it!

The Wandering Author said...

I seem to vaguely remember bits of the historical background to this, but not enough. Once I have the time, I'll have to research it. Sounds like an interesting story, though.

I'm a big supporter of creator's rights as well. However, what that all amounts to in the end is simply this; if you are the creator, you should have the right to do what you wish with your creation. If that means joining a contest, even with an "iffy" contract attached, it's as valid a decision as any other.

The Wandering Author said...

Saoirse, no need to post this if you don't want to. It was just the easiest way to let you know. Judging by your comment on my earlier post about Anne Frank's chestnut tree, you may find the news in my latest post interesting. It concerns a discovery of letters by Otto Frank, which are to be released on the 14th of February.

RomanceWriter said...

Stopping in to say hi and that I hope all is well in your writing world.

The Wandering Author said...

Saoirse, you've been tagged. You don't have any obligation to do the post if you don't want to, but I'm at least letting you know.

RomanceWriter said...

Checking in to say hi. How is the writing going?

Are you part of a writer's group? Feel free to join mine at yahoo groups if now. The link is on my blog.

Hope your doing well today,

Sara

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thanks for checking in on me and inviting me to "play" your game of "Tag." And the notice about Otto's letters--I'll keep an eye out. Hope you all are having a wonderful Valentine's Day. I'm officially snowed in with the husband, baby and dog so I'll probably start to twitch before the day's through ;-)

Thinking about writing...
~Saoirse

What is the most interesting city or setting to you?

Woo-hoo! Didn't You Know It!


Which ancient leader are you most akin to?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Ghengis Khan

you scored ghengis khan! He was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (posthumously Khagan) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (�� �онгол Ул�), (1206�1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history.

Ghengis Khan

86%

Julius Caesar

80%

Henry V (England)

72%

Cleopatra

70%

Darius

70%

Napoleon Bonaparte

67%

Alexander the Great

64%

Pride and Prejudice

Which Pride and Prejudice Girl Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com You scored as Elizabeth

I am Elizabeth. I am headstrong and intelligent. I love to be myself, and am very loyal to my family. I can sometimes be prideful and "prejudiced," but I try to remain open minded and I usually regret past mistakes.

Elizabeth

95%

Charlotte

75%

Jane

65%

Mrs. Bennet

55%

Mary

50%

Kitty

35%

Lydia

15%

Super Me!


Which Superheroine are you?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Huntress

You are the Huntress... No matter how many times you try and prove yourself to be good, you always seem to be stuck in the same rut, with the reputation as a "bad girl". Guys love to hang around you because you're easy to talk too.

Huntress

80%

Black Canary

75%

Supergirl

65%

Spiderwoman

60%

Batgirl

55%

Catwoman

40%

Spoiler

40%

Spidergirl

35%